Play the ‘long game, but always be ready to ‘up your game’ for the right reasons.
I am a big supporter of playing the ‘long game in life’ which mainly focuses around sacrificing short term wins for long-term more important gains and aiming for compound results and accumulation of tiny advantages that will make your next moves easier and your life fulfilling.
However, one needs to be ready to ‘step up their game’ when the right circumstances arise.
How can you ‘up your game’ and what are the right reasons to do so?
Indications that your efforts are working and that you have organized your ‘life game’ right is that you often feel that you are achieving your goals, you are making measurable progress and that you are being respected as a leader in your industry or your community.
Experience is your best teacher and you need to be able to adjust your actions in order to stretch your capabilities, use all your assets to your advantage and evolve into the best version of yourself.
- Respect your time. There is a big difference between being active and being effective.
- Be known for reliability. The definition of reliable is to be consistently good in quality or performance and able to be trusted.
- Learn from the past, plan for the future, live in the present.
- Have stronger boundaries that come from experience from similar situations.
- Become an expert in your field by accumulating deep knowledge and experience over time.
- Invest in meaningful relationships with real people, real friends and real customers. You will not be needing social media followers as much if you have real relationships in place.
- Accelerate and step up your game by using past experience as your guide.
Talking about new year resolutions, are you ready to step up your game this year?
With gratitude, T.